Thursday, August 17, 2006

Brasília-- the wedding

The whole point of our trip was to go for the wedding of our friend, Luís. It was pretty interesting. I was surprised at how... normal it seemed. :) I just thought maybe weddings would be a lot different here. Probably Catholic weddings are, but for us Evangelicals, it´s not too different.

The major different I guess to me was that they don´t have wedding parties like we have in the States. Instead of groom´s men for the groom and bride´s maids for the bride, each couple has a designated number of couples. And traditionally they´re real couples (dating, engaged, married), but not always. And everyone wears their own clothes that they choose. They actually try NOT to match! :) Cool! There was a bit of talk at this wedding when one of the madrinhas (little mothers literally, but bride´s maids) wore a white pants suit. She looked hot though! :)

So here are some pictures. Yes, there´s a lot of me, but it´s my blog and I can be vain if I want to. ;)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The beautiful bride and handsome groom-- Dora e Luís.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My beautiful, beloved friends.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Me and Antenor
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Antenor and Phyllis

If you don´t know Antenor and Phyllis, you´re missing out. They are some of the greatest folks ever.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Marúsia and I lookin´ hot... I think perhaps I look a little too hot. Try to ignore the bright pink sunburn. :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Guto and I-- we were apparently the unofficial photographers for the wedding, with 5 cameras between us. :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Jorge´s tie getting cut. Apparently it´s a tradition to cut off pieces of the groom´s tie and "sell them" at the reception to help fund the honeymoon for the couple. But our group was occupied with pictures, so they got his brother to stand in instead.

There are lots more great photos in my online webshots photo album, for which the link can be found at the right. In fact I just got all of my friend Aníbal´s photos and put them in an album today. In a few days I will meld them together into my original Brasília album, but for now they´re separate so you die hard Sojochick Blog fans won´t need to look through all the repeats to see the new ones. Aníbal is a pretty cool photographer, so check it out. :)

This is the penultimate post on Brasília. I plan to do just one more "what I learned from this trip" and random photo blog. Thanks for sticking with me through this!

Sorry my pictures are screwy. I am having a dang hard time finding a good way to put pictures on my blog. Any advice?

2 comments:

Judith said...

Ok, seriously the bride and groom look like they walked out of magazine or movie. I like the idea of including real couples and letting them decide what to wear.
Ok, and your sunburn, that looks so painful! Take care of your skin =)Love you!

Karen said...

I like to use Flickr (www.flickr.com). It assigns html to your pictures so you can put them in the blog. Or it also has a "blog this" button, where it will make a post for you with the picture. The only disadvantage of the latter is you can only add one picture per post. That's why I use the former method. Hope this helps. Glad you're having such a good time in Brazil.